Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankful...

I want to instill a heart of gratitude in the girls so each year I force encourage them to hand write cards to those who they are thankful for.  They would prefer to send a text or email, but I want them to understand that it is always more personal to hand write a card.

Now it seems like I am cheating, but I thought I'd make a list of what I am thankful for this year.  (if I can keep it at 10!)

1.  I am thankful that Jesus Christ would choose to die for ME, a sinner who has nothing to offer HIM that will guarantee my eternity with Him in heaven.
2.  I am thankful for the PROVISION and PROTECTION He has given to our family. 
3.  I am thankful for the storms and trials of the past year...actually of my entire life...as those storms and trials have brought me in a deep and intimate relationship with Him.  When I think of those who encounter trials without a relationship with Him, it makes my heart sad to think that they have no hope to rest in.
4.  I am thankful for the person He is molding me to be.  A LOT less selfish and self centered.  A LOT more sincere and loving.  I don't always realize these things until a situation comes and my response will shock me...I will think...wow that's not how I used to respond!
5.  I am thankful for my amazing husband.  Meeting the love of your life at 17 years old has its pros and cons.  Looking back to see our marriage today, I would not trade ONE bit of it.  The good, bad and ugly has made us closer and stronger today.  I cannot imagine my life without him.  I cannot wait to grow old and be Grandpa and Grandma Baker with him either.
6.  I am thankful for Alex Baker.  What an awesome gift.  She brightens my day.  She challenges my own walk with Jesus as I see her walk being so much farther than where I was with Him at such a young age.  She is not only beautiful on the inside but on the outside as well.  Where did I ever deserve such a girl?
7.  I am thankful for my sweet and funny youngest daughter.  She brings a ton of fun and laughter to our home and is very sensitive to her Mama's needs.  She loves to have a blast at whatever she does.  She has a very giving heart and loves to tell her friends about Jesus.  One of the blessings given to us after enduring one of life's storms.
8.  I am thankful for all 4 of us praying to receive Christ and living a life seeking after His heart.  It has been beautiful to see both girls and Tommy getting saved and being baptized.  Most of all, the growth that has happened as a result of allowing Him to lead and direct our family.  This is a daily work in progress, but we are convinced that there is NO OTHER WAY
The verse for our girls~
2 Timothy 4:12
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and faith and in purity."
9.  I am thankful for my parents and step parents.  They raised me through very tough times being so young.  I cannot imagine what it was like to raise a child with age, finances, divorce, etc. being huge factors.  The course of my life could have been much different if they had not endured this huge task.  I am thankful that our relationship has grown closer as I have become a mother. 
10.  I am thankful for our church.  I am thankful for our Pastor who leads with such honest integrity.  I am thankful for his obedience to God for delivering challenging messages week after week to make us disciplined disciples of Christ.  I am thankful for our Sunday School teachers who do the same as well.  I appreciate their honesty and dedication to lead our class for so many years.  Tommy and I have grown and been challenged greatly and are grateful for their friendship.  I am also thankful for the ministries He has called me to be a part of.  All Grace Abound, IllumiNation, WeeSchool and our Sunday School class.  Serving Him in these areas have opened many doors to my heart.

1 comment:

Kristy Dorminy said...

I LOVE that pic of you guys...sweet family!!